Medals

Medals

Friday, November 18, 2011

Where did all the girls go?

Part of moving to a new state means that I had to find a new gym. I was a member of Bally's up in New York, but since there are no locations within about a 100 mile radius of where I moved to, I had to quit my membership. I never really loved Bally's - I loved their treadmills and ellipticals. My location was always crowded, unless I went an hour before close and had to rush my workout in. But it was cheap enough, so that was a huge positive.

I joined a gym down in Florida under the name "Bailey's." Going from Bally's to Bailey's meant more than just a slight name change. I love this gym. Everything about is in an upgrade, with the exception of it being $5 a month more expensive. Even the bathrooms are much nicer. And rather than being forced to use the gym an hour before it closes, I can go whenever I want. Literally. 24 hour access was something I could never get at Bally's, and it's a huge upgrade, especially since I'm still unemployed.

What's the point to all this? Well, since I can go to the gym literally whenever I want to, I've been going a lot. Last night when I went, I looked around and noticed that I was the only girl, with about 20 guys working out. I figured there would be a few girls on the treadmills or stairclimbers, but when I turned my head I realized I was still outnumbered 20-1.

What gives? Do girls just not go to the gym late or something? I've noticed that usually there are only a few other girls at the gym when I'm there, but I'm always outnumbered.

This wouldn't be an issue, but since I've been doing a lot of weight training, I usually feel a little awkward lifting 30 pound weights when there are guys around me lifting over 100 pounds and doing the typical grunting and groaning that you would expect from heavy lifters. I suppose I should feel a bit more empowered to be able to hold my own on some machines (I think I can out leg press most of the guys I work out with!) but it still feels a bit strange.

What do you guys think? When do you girls work out? Should I feel tougher by being the only girl in a gym full of guys?

No comments:

Post a Comment